My name is W. Caleb McDaniel. I’m an associate professor of history at Rice University and a scholar of the nineteenth-century United States. I am also the faculty master at Duncan College, the newest of Rice’s eleven residential colleges.
My first book, The Problem of Democracy in the Age of Slavery: Garrisonian Abolitionists and Transatlantic Reform, was published by LSU Press in May 2013. It was awarded the 2014 Merle Curti Award for best book in American intellectual history, and a James H. Broussard First Book Prize from SHEAR.
- Beyond Failure: Rethinking Confederate State Policies on the Western Frontier | August 21, 2015
- Looking Back on the Backwards Survey | August 17, 2015
- Rubric for Historical Thinking Skills | May 15, 2015
- Lewis Perry’s Civil Disobedience | April 28, 2015
- The History Major in a Digital Age | January 4, 2015